Providence Health & Services CNA - Long Term Care in Kodiak, Alaska
Providence is calling a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Long Term Care - ECF Kodiak, Variable Shift, 0.0 FTE) to Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center in Kodiak, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
• RESIDENT CARE: Provides personal care and emotional support under the supervision of the Registered Nurse and or Physician. Performs basic patient/resident observation skills and reports significant changes in patient condition to the appropriate team member in a timely manner. Assists with measuring food/fluid intake and output and assists, bathing and dressing, including nail, skin, oral, peri-care, hand and foot care, and assists with toileting and elimination, including enemas pursuant to plan of care. Transports patients via wheelchair, stretcher or other method as needed.
• REPORTING/DOCUMENTATION: Records vital signs, weights, bowel records, meal intake, admission paperwork, and other required documentation. Reports changes observed in residents to the RN/LPN Primary Care Nurse. Interacts daily with the interdisciplinary team to communicate resident needs/status. Ensures that records are kept in an accurate, timely, legible and confidential manner. Inventory patient personal belongings at admission and as changes occur.
• HOUSEKEEPING/UNIT DUTIES: Functions as collaborative member of a self-managed work team while managing household responsibilities such as cleaning, laundry, and light cooking. Maintains a clean, safe, and healthy environment for the patient/resident. Keeps bedside tables neat, changes linens, cleans spills and disinfects instruments and equipment. Answers telephones and patient call lights. Monitors and restocks supplies and equipment to minimize waste and over use. Monitors refrigerator temperatures and back-up computer status. Demonstrates competency in the maintenance and operation of multiple pieces of equipment in a safe and effective manner.
• CUSTOMER SERVICE: Embraces the Providence Service Standards in all aspects of position. Presents and conducts self in a professional manner. Provides support to coworkers and customers while demonstrating service excellence by building positive interpersonal relations to ensure productive and positive relationships are maximized. Develops a deep understanding of customer’s perspectives and needs and works to meet their expectations. Builds a culture of true caring by behavior and interactions with others.
• Communicates in a compassionate and professional manner to patients, families and visitors. Demonstrates professional interpersonal skills and cooperates with other departments and members of the care delivery team to provide optimal continuity of care to patients and their families. Demonstrates commitment to teamwork and interacts harmoniously with others. Works collaboratively with others, to ensure team success. Supports new orientees in learning department routines.
• Works with new Nursing Assistant orientees and with CNAs unfamiliar with facility routines or the Resident-directed, Model of Care. Demonstrates knowledge and support of quality improvement goals. Participates in department projects or committees as assigned.
• CRITICAL THINKING AND ORGANIZATION: Demonstrates effective priority setting and organization skills to promote departmental workflow and cost efficiency. Ensures smooth, efficient services and maximizes comfort and confidentiality for the patient. Anticipates potential obstacles and adjusts work assignments to prevent unnecessary delays. Recognizes errors/problems and takes corrective action when necessary. Utilizes available resources to recognize errors/problems and takes corrective action and assists with problem resolution.
• PERSONNEL: Demonstrates knowledge and support of quality improvement goals. Participates in department, facility and organizational projects or committees as assigned.
• Completes Competency Plan for assigned job and department.
Required qualifications for this position include:
High school diploma or equivalent
Current State of Alaska CNA certification
CNA graduates and candidates that hold a current, unencumbered nurse assistant certification or registration from another U.S. state must obtain the State of Alaska certification within 4 months of employment
Completion of 12 hours of in-service training annually to maintain certification
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or the ability to attain certification within 90 days of hire
Alaska Food Handlers Permit or ability to attain certification within 30 days of hire
Basic computer skills and knowledge
Physical strength to help restrain potentially violent patients, assist patients in ambulating, turning in bed, and transferring in and out of wheelchairs
Ability to read, write and speak English to communicate effectively with other team members
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
6 months experience as a nurse aide, nursing assistant or private care-giver
About Kodiak Island Medical Center
Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center (PKIMC) provides comprehensive health care to residents and visitors of Kodiak Island. This critical access hospital features 25 acute care beds, including four birthing suites, one OB triage room, and two ICU beds. In addition, the Elder House, PKIMC’s long term care facility, has 22 beds.
PKIMC provides an extensive array of inpatient and outpatient services, including emergency department, surgery, laboratory services, maternity, general medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy, sleep studies, specialty clinics, diagnostic imaging services and pharmacy and is staffed by a mix of primary care physicians, surgeons and specialists who provide family practice, internal medicine, obstetrics, radiology and general practice.
For more information regarding Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center, please click on the following link: http://providence-kodiakhealthcare.jobs/
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Certified Nursing Assistant
Req ID: 244059